Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Tauntaun Hasn't Left the Echo Base Lately

Now that winter, more specifically the snow, finally hit Wisconsin a few weeks ago, I feel I must admit that I haven’t been biking to work much lately. Yep, lately the Snowspeeder (the car) has been used instead of the tauntaun (the bicycle) in the snowy Hoth-like outdoors. However, has it been the snow or cold that’s been keeping me off the bike? No, not really.

I was thrown of the biking routine in October because of a cold and I never really back going consistently since. Sure I had a few days here and there in October, November, and December but I haven’t had the same zeal about getting on the bike. I just don’t have the enthusiasm to get up that little bit earlier in the morning, brave the elements, and change into a different set of clothes when I get to work. Put more precisely, I feel burnt out.

I feel lazy saying that. Compared to some coworkers of who have 10 mile plus bike commutes, I only have a 5.5 mile commute each way. In the grand scheme though, it is more than just a jaunt down the block. In addition, looking back to 2010 and 2011, I collectively bike commuted 3899 miles. With that in mind, I think I’m warranted in taking a break. I’ll be back on the bike commuting routine eventually, but probably when the temps warm a bit and the snow on the ground starts to thin.

No comments: