Tuesday, February 07, 2012

20 Before 30: Update 1 - Shut Out

On Sunday, I felt rested and fresh enough to try hitting the track for a handful of paced 400s. There’s a high school just around the block so I did a little jog over there to use the track. I get a nice warm up run in, get all psyched up to do some hard running… and find the track gated up and locked. Disappointment. I’m not this hardcore so I just ended up doing a hard fast 2 mile run. Sure, it was still a run but I would have much rather done a speed workout doing laps on the track. Looking forward, I don’t know where I’m going to run now for speed work. I might just have to do it old school, and by that I mean like back in high school and laps on a nice flat city block. (I went to such a small school we didn’t have a track.) Perhaps I shouldn’t really be too concerned yet about doing speed work until I increase my mileage. As I’ve at most done 3 miles since starting up running again in November, I guess I shouldn’t worry myself about it again for a few weeks.

I can at least take solace in the fact that in the last two months my times for my 2 mile runs have gone significantly down. Times were just above the 17 minute mark, but now they are typically between 16 and 16:30. I don’t think I’m really doing anything to bring the times down, besides just simply running more. With that said, I think I can do better in that aspect as well. I’ve only been running three times a week now, but decided that I should be probably running four. Not only will I feel more “dedicated” that way, but also the weekly training plan will work out better that way. I can have a long run, a speed work day, and then two middle distance days. Well, that’s the plan for now anyway. My current at best 8 minute per mile pace is still a long way from 6:26…

No comments: