Sunday, October 07, 2012

Like A Caged Animal


This post was going to be about how I’ve been sick with a chest cold lately and can’t go for a run.  Not that it kept me from running, but to top it all off I also got an infected bug bite and have been on antibiotics.  In the last three weeks, I’ve only run 3 times for a total of six miles.  I scheduled myself to run 15 times and 47 miles in that stretch.  Unfortunately in those three runs I did do, I think I went too hard after being sick and made myself sick again.  With all that now explained, I originally was going to write how I’ve felt like a caged animal being sick and not being able to do what I wanted to do most, run. 

 
But then I said the hell with it and ran.

I learned my lesson from my last runs and didn’t push it, just enjoyed being out running.  It was just nice to move my body, to test it a bit (again not too much) and to be outside.  I love the beauty of nature in the fall, but I couldn’t help being a bit disappointed thinking about all the colors I missed during my missed runs.  On one of those three runs I did do these past few weeks, I did my favorite run.  It’s a short 2 miler that goes through a neighborhood park and around the park’s lake.  On that day the sun was just beginning to set, glimmering on the lake and shining through the autumn colors of trees like a stained-glass window.  I ran through warm streaks of yellow, gold, orange, and red.

I did that same run today and much of those colors are now on the ground.  It was a bit depressing having to trample over the colorful leaves and crunch them as I ran.  The lake just didn’t seem to have that same glint either.  However, I then realized it’s still better to be out experiencing nature than being stuck inside.  Who cares if the sun doesn’t shine off the lake as well today?  It’s still one more lake sunset I wouldn’t have seen from the couch.   Sure the colorful leaves may now be browning and on the ground, but there’s something to be said for that satisfying crunching sound as you run.  I mean what other time of year is running so percussive?  

In retrospect, I taught (or re-taught) myself a few lessons today.  First, it’s ok to not push myself as hard as possible every run.  Sometimes I just need to simply run and have an easy day.  Second, it’s better to be outside than in.  I may be regretting those words in January and February, but even then there will be much truth.  There’s a reason I despise treadmills and love running outside.  On a treadmill you can’t experience the wonders of an ever-changing nature, but instead just have the experience of the same repeating strip of belt tread and maybe a TV in front of you.  Lastly, the third lesson from today?  The best fall run recovery drink is a steaming mug of hot chocolate… or two.

No comments: