Saturday, January 12, 2013

Trudging Along

I don’t really have anything that exciting to write about, but I thought I would at least throw a post on here just to keep up with blogging on a semi-weekly basis. 
 
Since the beginning of the year, the weather has been up and down.  For the first week the temperatures were in the teens (to be expected), but then this last week it warmed up into the 30s, almost hitting 40 on Thursday.  It was nice to be out running in the abnormal warmth for this time of year, not having to wear nearly as many layers of clothing.  However, the warm temps didn’t seem to melt as much snow as I thought it would.  Most of the warm days were cloudy, not giving the sun a chance to really do its thing.  There also just isn’t enough daylight this time of year.  We even got rain yesterday too, and while it may have melted some snow, it actually made more of a mess.  The rain came in front of a cold front – a cold front that brought temperatures back into the teens.  Rain plus cold temperatures of course equal ice.  To put this into perspective for my running, anywhere that was a nice clear street, sidewalk, or paved trail now has sporadic areas of ice.  Some spots had really solid ice too, maybe an inch thick.  Nothing is going to melt much in the next couple of days with the temps staying in the teens, but hopefully as we warm back up midweek the big ice spots will at least disappear.  That doesn’t give me any comfort for what tomorrow’s 4 miler will be like though.

To be realistic, I don’t expect winter running to be perfect running.  Running right now is what it is.  I don’t anticipate much more than to just be putting in the miles and building a good base for the rest of the year.  There won’t be much speed or many fast times.  Even when the streets and sidewalks are completely devoid of snow and ice, I still have the cold.  I can’t get around having to wear many extra layers of clothing that add weight, but also hamper my flexibility.  Thinking back I should have mentioned this in “My Winter Running Essentials: Clothing” post.  It’s not as bad as younger brother Randy in A Christmas Story but the layers just do add some resistance.  Hmm… maybe one should just think of it as running resistance training.  I’m slow now but I’ll be stronger and faster once the temps warm up and the layers come off.  Well that’s some positive thinking anyway…

 At least I can put my arms down…

Changing the subject, I’m kind of wishing I was back in Madison this weekend.  For the last two years, Madison has been lucky enough to have hosted USA Cycling’s Cyclo-cross Nationals.  Yes folks, this is an off-road bike race in the middle of January.  Last year’s event was actually during a warm spell so there wasn’t any snow or ice.  There was some ground thawing going on though so there was some mud, but there should always be mud for a proper cyclo-cross race.  

Hard to believe this was January 2012. 

The 2013 version of Nationals look a lot more interesting – a total slop fest.  There’s still tons of snow on the ground from a blizzard they got a few weeks ago, so the guys and gals are racing through mud, water, snow, and probably some ice.  From this helmet cam video from VeloNews.com, it actually looks like it would be kinda fun to be riding in… well maybe not on some of the downhills.  At least from the pictures on USA Cycling’s website, it definitely would be fun watching.

Though I can't bet there in person, I’m going to set aside some time tomorrow to watch the live feed for the Elite Men’s’ and Women’s races.  If I were you, I’d watch it too.  I don’t think it will disappoint.

No comments: