Friday, January 18, 2013

WWTF

No, no.  WWTF doesn’t mean “What Would Timmy Feed?”  It means “Weather, What The Fudge?”  (Of course the F doesn’t really mean “fudge” but I thought I should censor this for sensitive eyes.)  As far as the reason behind this, I need only to show you the National Weather Service forecast for the next few days:


Just look at that temperature swing.  Today I could wear shorts on a run.  Monday on the other hand (and possibly Sunday and Tuesday), I don’t know if I could even go for a run.  That might just be too cold (even for me) or I might have to put on so many layers that I wouldn’t be mobile enough to run.  Geez, Saturday alone there’s a 40 degree change from daytime high to nighttime low.  

Here’s what I’m planning.  Normally, I have rest days from running on Mondays and Fridays.  With today being so nice, I’m definitely running.  So it looks like I’ll skip my Friday rest day, making my Saturday 2-miler and my Sunday 5-miler runs into Friday and Saturday runs respectively.  Although Saturday’s temperature looks great, we’re also supposed to have gusty winds, bringing wind chills close to 0F.  Still that’s likely better than what the weather will be on Sunday (and especially Monday).  Although it’s tempting to break a my record for coldest run of the year on Sunday (so far the coldest run this winter has been a air temperature of 8F and a wind chill of -5F), I think I’ll take advantage of the warmth before the deep freeze.  Sunday’s run is also supposed to be a 5-miler, my longest run since this spring.  Yep, I’ll definitely take the warmer temps of Saturday instead.  

I might be dead tired after Saturday, but the cold of Sunday and Monday will be perfect for staying inside and resting.  

**UPDATE:  My wife kindly sat me down and reminded me that we have plans for all of tomorrow (Saturday) so I won’t be able to fit a run in.  So whereas I’ll still be using Sunday and Monday as rest days, Saturday will also become a rest day from running.  I’ll then be skipping the 2 mile run for the more important 5-miler, running it in today’s downright balmy temperatures.  (There may be some sarcasm there.) 

No comments: