Sunday, March 24, 2013

So I Guess This Is Spring

Sometime soon I’ll maybe have a post on something besides the weather, but this won’t be it.

Nearly everyone in the Midwest (and in many parts beyond) has been complaining about how this year’s winter seems to be lingering into spring.  That’s quite literal actually.  The first day of spring this past Wednesday I went out to run at 4 pm and it was a downright cold 21F – with a 6F wind chill!  Luckily the temperatures the last two days have been in the mid 30s, finally melting some of the tall piles of snow (like the one at the end of our front door’s sidewalk).  The weather then looks like it will be doing a slow crawl to more normal temperatures (the normal high is supposed to be 40F), reaching the mid 40s by next weekend. 

While the temps are finally becoming more spring-like this week, today I saw – or heard actually – what I’m calling the official start of spring.  GEESE!  I don’t know what it is but geese always put a smile on my face.  It’s really just that comical “HONK!” as the fly in their grouped V-shape across the sky.  There were tons flying months ago in the fall migration.  My wife doesn’t get my fascination with them, to the point of being irritated by it, always reminding me that geese are mean birds up close.  Well, whatever.  I never see them up close anyway, only seeing them in the sky and hearing them “HONK!” as they fly along.  Maybe today they were saying that spring is here.  I’m not that well versed in goose honk.

Hopefully spring is indeed here, if not only to run in warmer temperatures and in less (or no) snow, but because I also do not want anything more to do with long underwear, fleece tights, heavy wool socks, and the like.  It’s the lower layering for the legs and just the overall thickness that’s starting to bother me.  I want the extra freedom of shorts and maybe just a single long sleeve layer up top.  Additionally, I just did a load of running laundry that included all the thicker winter clothing.  I don’t want to have to wash it again until next winter!

Come on spring!

No comments: