Sunday, April 15, 2012

Quickening My Crazylegs

I finally registered for Crazylegs last week, just before the early bird reduced priced registration ended. I wasn’t worried about getting a spot, but saving $7 was nice. Looking at the calendar though, I’m realizing that the race is approaching quickly. It’s now only two weeks from yesterday.

Since the race is kind of an odd distance at 8 km, I don’t have any “make or break” goals. I just feel like Crazylegs is a “must” event, not only because it’s the largest running event in town, but because of the atmosphere. I do however want to smash my time from when I ran Crazylegs last, in 2009. Back then, I was training for the Madison Marathon so my time really wasn’t that fast for the roughly five mile route. I finished in a time of 44:49, right at a 9 minute per mile pace.

Last weekend I ran a five miler in 41:15, an 8:15 per mile pace, so I know I will easily beat the 44:49 from 2009. However, with the excitement of the race, the other runners, and the crowd, I’ll be going faster. With that said I’m going for a time of 40 minutes or under, optimistically shooting for 38 minutes. That goal range puts me at a per mile pace of 8 minutes (for a 40:00 finish time) through to a 7:38 per mile pace (for the 38:00 finish time).

We’ll see how it goes, but whatever happens, I’m sure I’ll have a fun time doing it.

No comments: